Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Little Steps

We'll I've finally arrived in the Dominican Republic.  Gracias a Dios (as they say here)... Thanks be to God!  I am finally here.  Thank you so much to everyone who has been praying for me.  I truly have felt those prayers.  I had a smooth flight, customs went well, and I arrived yesterday at the SCORE complex where most of the American missionaries stay.  I will not be staying here, however, for much longer, but am waiting on the storm to pass and to get a cell phone so that I have a way to communicate with people if I need to.  Also, I would like to visit one of the orphanges that I am working with, Pasitos de Jesus (Little Steps of Jesus), before I go to Quisqueya, the town where I'll be living.

My first night was not as some may have expected.  I didn't cry or freak out that I just moved out of the country, although I am sure that it is coming at some point.  But, instead I've prayed a lot that God would open my eyes to where there is need, provide transportation, and help me get acclimated in the next few days and weeks.

Some Dominican Reality & Surprises:

Last night after dinner, when I returned to the apartment where I am staying, I did not have any electricity except for a small lamp in my bedroom.  Thank goodness for the head lamp that I put in my back pack last minute -- I packed flashlights but haven't found them yet. Surprise? Crazy enough, the air conditioning unit worked in my bedroom last night...(FYI -- I don't have air conditioning in my room in Quisqueya, so I am soaking this up.)  I woke up to a rooster crowing and again, big blessing -- a hot shower... another thing that I will not be enjoying in Quisqueya.  Reality? I already have lots of bug bites, am not flushing toilet tissue in the toilet, nor brushing my teeth with the water.  I am adjusting well, and excited to see how God helps me through my adjustments.

Today, I was able to hop on a bus with one of the short term teams that is here from Hebron Church in Dacula, GA.  They spent the day in Quisqueya so I got a chance to see Mirqueya (the woman who founded Emanuel House), some of the other volunteers and teachers that work there, and I got to sit in on part of a teacher training for teachers around Quisqueya about discipline.   My goal this week is to observe and try to understand more how the SCORE community works together, how Emanuel House works and get to go to Pasitos.  God knew what I needed today because about 5 minutes before the Hebron team left (my plan was to stay at the SCORE complex today), I met 2 American girls/teachers who are currently staying at Emanuel House and a girl who is at Pasitos de Jesus.  So, I hopped on the bus with them to head to Emanuel House.  They were such a blessing to me to help me understand what life has been like for them working with the ministries.  Additionally, I was greeted by Mirqueya's cheery smile and warm hugs from some of the kids and staff.  I can tell that there is much to be done and God is already providing family for me here!

I am thankful for all who have sent me encouraging emails and texts (which are free for me to receive). Truly, you all are my only community until I get settled in here.  The community that God had built around me in Atlanta took quite a while to build.  I am grateful and prayerful that He will provide me with one here with which I feel just as comfortable.  Thank you for all of your support...

I am posting some pictures for you so those worriers out there can stop worrying.  This is where I am staying for my first few days... Seriously, I'm soaking it up.







PRAYER REQUESTS:

Please pray for tomorrow's storm.  I am sure that we will be safe here at SCORE, but please pray for all of the people who live in the villages and in Quisqueya and other parts of the country where the homes are small and not very secure.  Please pray for safety and for no flooding.

Please pray for a 13 year old that I found out about today who attempted to kill herself.  Please pray for the doctors and for those close to her -- but especially, please pray for her that she would see God's love through the people who visit her and love on her.  Right now, she is not awake.  Please pray for complete healing.

1 comment:

  1. Adrienne we are so proud of you, allowing the lord to lead you to do his will. We will keep you up in prayer, and send what we can to help. You are inspiring more people than you could ever imagine. Love You cousin Derrick and family

    ReplyDelete