Sunday, July 14, 2013

Change is a comin'

Well, on Friday I moved to my new home in Quisqueya, Dominican Republic.  I thank God for giving me the wisdom to stay at SCORE for a few days while I got a phone, saw some missionaries that I had met over previous summers, and learned a little bit more about the orphanage that I will be working at.  Additionally, I was able to talk to and exchange numbers with some people who live in Quisqueya and travel by bus every day to the SCORE complex.  So, on Friday I arrived at my new home and was greeted by Mirqueya's wonderful smile.  I can tell that there are lots of good changes coming in terms of helping the kids here get a good education, and I pray that God uses me as He wishes.

 the family that runs the ministry and one of the little girls who attends

 some houses surrounding the ministry

 the classroom... 70ish kids benefit from this ministry

side view of the building

But, what I want to talk about is my first full day here.  Yesterday, I, along with two interns that have been staying here woke up and had a day planned of going into San Pedro with Mirqueya to get some grocery for the kids and for us.  I think yesterday was the first day that I felt culture shock.  It is the first time since I've been here that I have felt like a stranger, realizing that I don't belong, and longing for the day (probably a long time from now) that I feel like I fit in.

Well, our trip to the city to go grocery shopping turned out to last for about 5 hours and we did many other things as well.  The grounds keeper, Jose, was our driver, and he took us first to a new ministry formed by a Dominican family that is very similar to Mirqueya's.  It was humbling, truly humbling.  On one hand, this family is using a building to serve kids that live close by who are poor.  They are trying to help educate them.  While I didn't see the kids, I did see the family in charge, and can see their hearts to help their community.  But, I also saw the poverty that surrounded them and the long way that they have to go to have a nice facility for the kids to come to.  Please pray for this family.  They are believers who are serving Him.  Pray for blessings and the resources to come to help them.  Pray for endurance.

The second place that we went was to an office building for teachers.  Like in most important places in the city, there was a guard who filtered who can go in and can't.  Much to my surprise, he wouldn't let me in.  That morning, I had decided that since we were running errands, I would put on a long skirt and a layered tank top.  (It was very conservative, but it showed my shoulders.)  A humbling experience to be held back and unable to go up the stairs, I got to talk to him and he explained that teachers hold their students to a standard of not wearing short shorts or tops that showed shoulders so they weren't allowed to either... nor anyone who was entering that building for teachers.  Here I was thinking that I was dressed better than someone in shorts and a t-shirt, but because my shoulders weren't covered, it was "inappropriate."  Please pray for me with cultural differences.  Please pray for me to not be prideful or judgmental and to humble myself to dress according to culture -- even when in the U.S. or biblically, there may not be anything wrong with what I have on.  Please pray that I am not ashamed but rather learn from my mistakes.

Next, we headed to the bank and to a store called Jumbo.  We hopped on a "guaguita" which I promise I will never ride without Mirqueya.  It is an old van and random people drive them and you catch them like you do taxis.  The drivers are just sitting and waiting for clients.  I remember walking past one earlier and saying to my friend, "don't get in those" and she said, "oh, that's what we are about to ride." And so, we rode to Jumbo... and both on the "guaguita" and in the store, I felt discomfort.  Having to do math in my head, pick out vegetables, put them in a bag and get them measured before going to the check out and not knowing how to find anything in the store.  My uncontrollable discomfort were reminders that I didn't belong.  I didn't know how to do things by myself.  Please pray for boldness in asking when I don't know and for patience in becoming comfortable with how to do things.

"the guaguita"

And, then we went to the local grocery store which probably is less americanized and bought food for the kids at Emanuel House.  There, we were given a piece of notebook paper with a list on both sides.  I, along with Jose and the other girls, spent about 2 hours in the store trying to get everything on the list.  On the list were mostly numbers and brand names, so only Jose knew what they meant.  I found myself hoping for the day when I could take this task off of Mirqueya's shoulders and go shopping for her and actually understand what the list meant. Please pray for my patience with being able to help and with the slow Dominican way which is so opposite from the fast paced efficient ways of the U.S.

My reading today came from Ezra.  It talks about the Israelites who returned to Jerusalem after having been exiled to Babylon.  They rebuilt a temple to God, but it took them like 20 years to rebuild it because some people around them were against them rebuilding it.  But, in the end they did it!  They were encouraged by kings, prophets, and each other.  The commentary in my Bible describes Ezra as the man who wrote 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah and Psalm 119.  It describes him as a priest, a scribe and as someone who was humble and obedient to God.

After yesterday's experience, I am reminded that while I have visited and spent much time here, and while on the outside, I don't stand out, I am a stranger here.  I pray that God will give me humility and a continued desire to serve.  I pray that in that humility and service, I will one day belong.

Do nothing out of vain ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.  You should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Philippians 2: 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment