Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thankful for Tears & Truth

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things." Philippians 4:4-8.

These are some of Paul's last words to the church at Philippi.  As a church planter, Paul had travelled and planted churches all around and then the epistles in the new testament are his letters keeping up with them, giving them advice, and encouraging them.

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to sit and read Philippians in its entirety.  It's quite a short book -- only 4 chapters -- and much of it is familiar and encouraging to anyone who grew up in church.  But, read in context, it's even better.  For instance, after reading all of Philippians in one setting, it seems that there was some conflict between the people in the church... it's as if they had forgotten that they had one thing in common - Jesus.  And Paul reminds them that their purpose was to love Him and show His love to others.  In Philippians 1:9-11, Paul writes to them: "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ -- to the glory and praise of God."

He then goes on in Chapter 2 to encourage the believers to be like-minded, to remember their love for Jesus, to be one in spirit and in purpose, and to be humble like God who had become human, died, and risen again just to save us.  I bet the conflict between the Philippians seemed petty after they read that part of his letter. Who were they to bicker, to not show love, to not be encouraging -- especially if they claimed to be Christ-filled?  And who are we to do the same? Just think: God humbled himself and died on the cross. We, just like the Philippians, should find such comfort from His love and such fellowship with His spirit to honor Him by how we love others. And ultimately, we should live our lives rejoicing in what He has done for us and in who He is.

Yesterday was my last day at Wesleyan.  I drove off of campus crying  after having said many goodbyes to people who have guided me, cared for me, and done life with me over the last seven years. And last night, I spent a few hours over dinner and at worship and prayer night at church with a former student... and I cried again.  (I cannot imagine what those goodbyes will be like when I see my dearest friends for the last time until Christmas -- but I won't think about that now...)  My tears reflected the sadness that I feel because of my soon to be inability to see some of my favorite people everyday, because I have a deep love for the people and the purpose of my church community and won't get to physically worship with them in just a month now, and because of fear of the unknown.

Yet, I find myself rejoicing about where God has brought me over these last few years.  I find comfort in knowing that without my experiences at Wesleyan, I would not be connected with the ministries in the Dominican Republic that I now love.  I feel encouraged to know that God can surround me and has surrounded me with other believers who love me enough to pray with me, learn with me, and enjoy life with me.  I am grateful for growth in my relationship with Christ, grateful for the friendships and relationships that have grown from church and from school, and grateful to the Holy Spirit for helping me understand His Word more and more each day.

And thus, even in the midst of closing a special chapter in my life, I am comforted by the sweet gifts God has given me and I am reminded to be grateful for them. Those very familiar verses that are found in the fourth chapter of Philippians come to life for me today.  In the midst of my fears, my anxieties, and my goodbyes, I will cling to the words of Paul:

Rejoice!
Be gentle!
Don't be anxious!
Pray!
Give thanks!
Think about all that is pure
and lovely
and praiseworthy
and admirable
and noble
and true!

Thanks be to God for your Word!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment