Saturday, March 2, 2013

Unworthy, Celebrated, and Loved

Well, it's the season of Lent.  Growing up in the Baptist church, we never really celebrated Lent nor acknowledged it much, but over the past few years (being a part of a non-denominational school-community and being a member of an Anglican church), I have been exposed to the season and am starting to grasp it's meaning a bit more.

Lent is a time of recognition -- recognizing that I am a sinner. When you see people on Ash Wednesday walking around with ashes on their heads, it's a reminder that they fall short and when we look in the mirror to see that same ash, it's a reminder that we fall short too.  We are all sinners who one day will return to the dust of the earth.  Lent is about recognizing our shortcomings in how we live, the relationships that aren't right, the depths of our souls that aren't pure and bringing all of those to God, knowing that He is the only one who can not only help us, but cure us.  And the best part of it all?  His desire to cure us... to make us better... for us to live in complete freedom with Him is completely and utterly undeserved, unearned and there is nothing that we can do to merit such a freedom or love for us.

My devotion this morning (taken from Sacred Space for Lent 2013) comes from the story about the prodigal son.  He went out, left his home and his father and brother and did everything wrong.  When he came back, he said, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son."  But the father told his slaves to clothe the son in a fine robe, put a ring on his finger, and to put fine sandals on his feet, and he celebrated with his son.

The Lenten season is about becoming humble enough to understand, just like the son did in the parable, that we are unworthy of God's love, of this life,  and of the eternal rewards in Heaven.

Yet, because we know that truth, we push on.

I am overwhelmed by His calling on my life, yet I push on.  I sense a lack of balance, yet I push on to draw closer to Him to find it.  I doubt Him, yet I push on to recognize His power. I  don't understand His love for me, yet I push on learning more about Him each day, seeking a deeper understanding of His love.  I am confused yet I push on, listening carefully for His words of wisdom.  I recognize more and more each day that He is big and I am small.

May the Holy Spirit enlighten my mind and my heart to respond to His teachings. - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment