Saturday, January 26, 2013

Counting My Blessings

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.... And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.  Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.  Sell your possessions and give to the poor.  Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. - Luke 12:22; 29-34

I often find myself worrying... While I know deep down that God will provide, I need to be reminded of His goodness, reminded of all that I have to be thankful for, and reminded that worrying does not help.  It's crazy, really, once I sit back and think about all of His many blessings, but unfortunately, like the Israelites in the Old Testament, I am forgetful.  I have to be reminded every day of His goodness.  I have to notice, even, that I am not fully trusting.  Every Day.

At Bible Study on Thursday, we talked about places in our lives where we have a hard time trusting God... my "places" all surround trusting how abundant and powerful God is.  I believe He is both of those, but I have a hard time really "touching" that abundance or understanding it fully.  During the Bible Study, one of the other leaders mentioned that when we have a hard time trusting, we need to start showing our gratefulness... So, since then, I've tried to open my eyes to what God has done... and when I did that, His abundance became SO evident and so much more real.

These last few days with my eyes open, I have seen so many blessings -- BIG and small... that help me continue to see God's hands in this process.  I am so grateful for the inner peace that He has given me since my decision to go to the Dominican full-time, the people He has constantly placed around me, and the little things that He has made easier just because.

COUNTING MY BLESSINGS (just in the last two days...)
  • I had a busy week at work with Winter Conferences with all of the freshmen and their parents, long Mock Trial practices, and a looming Yearbook deadline.  God provided me with energy, a faculty fellow to teach my classes, a clear mind, and small breaks.  I laughed a lot and even in the midst of long days, God was right there with me!
  • I received an email about possible supporters from a pastor that I have never met in person.  God provides abundantly and is working for our good even when we physically can't.
  • I have run into or spoken to multiple people who want to support me... people who I never expected would want to, people I haven't seen in ages, and some people I just met.  God is at work!
  • I was reminded of the help provided to me earlier in the week by my "little" helpers (ages 2 and 4) who helped add stamps and close envelopes. God is good!
  • I received a drawing from one of my students reminding me of the night that my group of prayer warriors prayed over me as I began this process.  God is Powerful and He is creative too! (I will post the drawing soon...)
  • I remember the two unexpected texts that I received from a student and from a friend speaking truth about the places where I feel weak.  
  • I have a dinner tonight.  I had the SAT this morning.  God gave me 2 testers who only were taking 1 subject test, allowing me to leave at 9:30am instead of 1:00pm and get some of the tasks done that I would've otherwise been rushed to do.  God is helpful!
  • I am surrounded each moment by people who will listen, who care about me, and who love the Lord.  God knows just what I need! 
 May God help us not worry.  May we look for Him.  And may we see glimpses of just what an amazing God we serve each and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment