Tuesday, July 26, 2011

WHaT DoeS iT MeaN To FoLLoW CHRiST?

Well, I'm unbelievably in my last week in the Dominican Republic. I start school next Thursday back in the United States. I find myself thinking often what does it all mean? This trip? My time being here in the Dominican Republic? Why did God have me spend my time here this summer. I think at the end of this week, I will have spent only 2 weeks of my 6 here going out to villages with a missionary. 2 of the weeks that I was here, it was very slow and thus, we did work like cleaning apartments, painting, or in general fixing up SCORE. Sometimes during those 2 weeks, there was not much for us to do so we hung out. 1 week I spent at the sports complex frustrated because of lack of communication between the organization that I am here with and the teams I was with over there. And, 1 week I was sick. I think about it. What does it all mean? Why does God have me here? Why was I so drawn to come back here this summer and work for Him?
Well, of course, I will probably spend much of the coming months trying to discern God's message through my encounters while here, but there are some things that are already being unraveled.
First, I have thought a lot about what my ministry is here on Earth. In what way does God want to use me and my life in order to further His kingdom? And, inevitably, it's through teaching. God has put within me a gift for teaching, the passion of giving others knowledge, and a creative mind to impart said knowledge. While here, there are many times that I think about these villages and how much they lack opportunity not because they are stupid or lazy, but instead because they lack knowledge. Back home, communities don't progress not because they are inferior, but instead because they lack people to educate them well, people who truly care for them and their well-being. Where do I fit into that?
Second, I have been reading my Bible a lot while here. I have concentrated recently on the book of Acts. I am amazed by how much Paul traveled and traveled and proclaimed the name of the Lord everywhere he went. I am amazed by his unashamed and bold approach towards spreading the gospel. He was incarcerated many times, beaten, and rejected by people who the world considered followers. But, for much of his life (after he totally denounced the fact that Jesus was Christ and after God changed his heart), Paul went around converting people to believe in Jesus -- He didn't care what kind of people believed (Jew or Gentile). He lived his life to further the kingdom. He was an average guy who God used to further the kingdom. We should be like Paul.
I have also just started reading Radical. Woah! If you have not read this book, it is a must read for any Christian who wants to be challenged. I'm about fifty pages in and already I have been challenged. I am challenged in the way that Christians follow Christ in the United States. What do we do to help people know Christ? We are so comfortable. So much like the world that the non-believers don't see that we are any different than they are and have to ask us, "are you a Christian?" We are so comfortable that we have church with people who only look like us, dress like us, make the same money as us, and live in the same neighborhood. We are so comfortable that we spend our money instead of helping those in need, on bigger church buildings, comfortable seats, and fancy music. What is Christian about that stuff? How am I helping to further God's kingdom by surrounding myself with the comforts of the world? What does it mean to be like Paul? What does it mean to follow the example of Jesus? Neither were ever in "comfortable" situations. Do we "do" Christianity wrong?
I don't know how these thoughts will affect my life back in the states. But, I do know that if I ponder for a while the things that God has taught me while here, the people that I have met, the books that I have read, the sermons that I have heard, and the experiences with people (both good and bad) that I have had -- that God will continue to challenge me to put one foot in front of the other and continue to live for Him while taking risks. I don't want to be comfortable in the world.
May God place within my heart passions for those who are truly in need, the desires to continue to learn His word and then share it, and the may He help my person die each day so that His glory is shown through all that I say and do.
For blessed are those who are blameless
who walk in the law of the Lord
who keep his testimonies
who also seek him with their whole heart
and do no wrong
but walk in his way. (Psalm 119:1-3)
May I walk in his way... even if "walking in his way" means stepping away from the comforts that have so neatly been placed in front of us in America...
So, what does it mean exactly to follow Christ in 2011 in my life?
And in yours?
Do you follow him?

No comments:

Post a Comment