Wednesday, December 29, 2010

SLuMPS and STaRBuCKS

Do you ever feel dumb? Like you have stopped learning? Like your intelligence has come to an abrupt halt? Or, do you ever find yourself just feeling really alone or without? Well, those feelings frequent my mind from time to time... And, when Poor Me Syndrome visits, she comes unnannounced and then usually leaves in the night when I'm not paying her any attention. But, if I give her any time of day, she lingers for a lot longer than I would like.

I am reading Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado. If you haven't read it yet, you should. If you don't want to read the whole thing, at least read the chapter entitled "Slump Guns." Right now, I find myself sitting at Starbucks -- which, when I have time, is the place that I go to kind of think, study, plan, read or just journal. In general, it's not too quiet, yet the background noise is soothing and allows me to reflect and get things done that I need to do. Today, while I have been pretty productive, I feel Poor Me Syndrome knocking on my door. I desire so badly not to let her in, but feel like she is going to climb in and overtake my thoughts. So, in an attempt to run from her, I came here.

In this chapter of the book, Lucado talks about David and Goliath (as he does throughout the book) and basically cites the portion of David's life when he forgot about God... He was so down in the dumps that he consulted himself instead of God. Doing so, David ended up turning against his own people. And then, his life just gets worse and worse. Lucado states, "How we handle our tough times stays with us for a lifetime." It's true right? I mean usually when we are down in the dumps, that's when we can make some poor decisions that could affect us for a long time. Thus, it's so important to seek God first, seek wise counsel, and keep on moving.

Don't let her in.

This is a story that Lucado talks about in his book. It is so relevant to me right now as many times those thoughts of loneliness creep into my head. It is a reminder that God can see the end even though right now I can't. It is a constant reminder that I need in my life.

In 1952 Florence Chadwick attempted to swim the chilly ocean waters between Catalina Island and the California shore. She swam through foggy weather and choppy seas for fifteen hours. Her muscles began to cramp, and her resolve weakened. She begged to be taken out of the water, but her mother, riding in the boat alongside, urged her not to give up. She kept trying but grew exhausted and stopped swimming. Aids lifted her out of the water and into the boat. They paddled a few more minutes, the mist broke, and she discovered that the shore was less than a half mile away. "All I could see was the fog," she explained at a news conference. "I think if I could have seen the shore, I would have made it."

Lucado continues by saying, "Take a long look at the shore that awaits you. Don't be fooled by the fog of the slump. The finish may be only strokes away."

The loneliness will subside. Feelings of inadecuacy will go away. Hurt will pass. God can see the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment