Sunday, November 30, 2014

It might seem random, but God is SO good!

A goat moved in somewhere close by.  Thus, for the past 3 days instead of waking up to the sound of a rooster crowing, I've been awakened by a goat. And today was no different.  I don't think I like 4:30am.

I didn't make it inside church today.  It seems like my car has temper tantrums sometimes, and right when I park and am ready to head inside wherever I'm going, I turn the car off, open the door and…. boom… the windows go down.

My previous thought was that my car could sense rain and right when it was about to rain, that happened.  But, today proved my theory wrong.  Outside it was bright and sunny.  And yet, windows down.  Because of where I live, I couldn't leave my car open.  So, I journaled and every once and a while I tried again to open the door…  Fail.  Windows down.

And as I journaled inside my car during church today, all I could do is wonder what God was trying to teach me.  Maybe it is that in every new day, there are new experiences, new glimpses of things that can either make me frustrated, sad, excited or amazed. Maybe it's that God is teaching me patience.  Maybe it's a mixture of both.

Every day there is something new.

I continue to be amazed by what all the Lord still is teaching me here.  I am amazed by how He continues to teach me and show me little things about the culture that I didn't know before.  In some ways I think since I've been here for over a year now, I should get it.  And, there are many things that I do understand.  But truthfully, a year and a half has given me deeper relationships and through those relationships more trust and thus, I am learning things that I didn't know before and understanding culture and relationships in a way that maybe I didn't get before.  It also gives me insight to how to help in a way that maybe I couldn't see before.  And, I am reminded on a daily basis the need to be patient so that God will work out His will.  I constantly pray that the Lord gives me wisdom, gentleness, non-judgment, a positive attitude, and patience.  His will be done, not my own.

This past week, in addition to teaching, I had the opportunity to take 8 kids and a mom to the local clinic in order to be checked for fungi.  The truth is that every one of the kids had a fungus in their head and the mom had scabies.  Wow!  I saw scabies for the first time in my life.  The doctor commented that it's because of their living conditions.  And then, after helping divide the medicines while the kids waited, I got to explain the doses, etc.  The sad reality is that if it weren't for Emanuel House, two of the kids wouldn't be able to take their medicines regularly because it must be taken with food.  And, the mom who accompanied us had to wash her clothes the next day, but she was too ashamed to tell me that she didn't have any detergent.  The realities of the families gets to me sometimes.

But I've learned to just keep walking.  Keep helping.  Keep loving. One day at a time.


New Beginnings.

One of my deepest dreams is that the moms that I work with will one day be able to support their own children and themselves and some of those dreams are starting to come true.  Five of the moms from my Bible Study (yes 5!) are working towards learning skills or have found a job.  One mom (thanks to another local ministry) received a freezer and learned how to make beads.  She now is selling ice cream and necklaces.  I went on an interview with another mom who started working last week.  She is learning to make jewelry. And three other moms spent a week and a half learning to sew uniforms and make bags and jewelry.  God is moving.  My prayer is that they will capture what they have learned and not only learn for themselves, but eventually help their communities.

 

New Ideas.

I was able to go to a leadership conference with Mirqueya and some local pastors a few weeks ago.  What a joy to be poured into!  It is a conference given all over the world with speakers like Louie Giglio and the writer of QUIET (you know that book for introverts) to share how to be better leaders as Christians.  It was wonderful and I walked out of it with a clearer vision, strategy, and goals for this coming year.  While I pray and pray and pray for insight, God brings it to me at unexpected times and in unexpected ways.  I did not have that conference in my plans and truly had no clue what it was about.  But God is good.  His timing is perfect.



More Patience.

For those of you who pray, please continue to pray for the home life of the little girls that I love so dearly.  Pray for their safety and for God's light to shine in their home.  Please pray for their father's salvation.  Pray for God's will to be done and for us to be faithful in loving the girls, courageous in teaching them about Jesus and wise in helping them.

On a Different Note.

I will be headed home a week from today.  My itinerary is below. I look forward to uniting with my team, encouraging and being encouraged, and resting a bit!

While at home, I will be praying for the upcoming year.  Please join me in prayer.  If you aren't sure how to pray, please pray these specific verses over me:

Humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.  Give all your worries and cares to God for he cares about you.  1 Peter 5: 6-7

Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you.  Watch over it willingly not grudgingly-- not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God.  1 Peter 5:2

Love each other deeply with all your heart.  1 Peter 1:22

Since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially that sin that so easily trips us up.  And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.  We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Hebrews 12:1-2a

See you soon, God Willing!

My schedule while in the States:
December 7-15 in Florida
December 15-21 in Atlanta
December 21-26 in South Georgia 
December 26- January 2 in Atlanta
Leave for Santo Domingo on January 3


No comments:

Post a Comment