Sunday, November 16, 2014

A nomad with hope

By faith, so many have lived their lives here on earth.  Hebrews talks specifically about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Moises, and others.  In Hebrews 11:13-16, the writer states, "All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."

I have had the chance in the last two weeks to live in two worlds.  Traveling to the United States to be a part of my friends wedding and now being in the Dominican again, I am reminded over and over again that I don't belong here, in either place.  

I am a nomad.  

My experience in the States is one of dependence on other people -- no home, no car, just kind friends and family who are willing to take me here, pick me up from there, and house me some nights.  

It's uncomfortable sometimes.  

And, in the Dominican, while I can go "home," have a bed that is mine and have transportation, there are many things that make me uncomfortable.  I still don't speak my first language, my mind is still "American" and I often don't understand some customs. 

Like in the States, the Dominican is filled with brokenness….  

Bad music.  
Broken families. 
Abuse.  
Children raising themselves.  
Lost souls.  
Drunkenness.  
Hatred.
…and people who believe it's all okay.

The Bible says that as Christians we are not of this world.  We should not feel comfortable here, we should not … we should look to what's ahead, understanding that we are citizens of heaven.

John 15:19
The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.

Romans 12:1-2
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

In Hebrews 12:1-2, the writer reminds us that as Christians people are watching and that it is through our faith that we receive good reputations.  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith."

We keep going even though we see all of the brokenness, by keeping our eyes on Jesus.  He is the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  He is the savior that welcomes us into His Kingdom.  We strive to see His completed Kingdom one day.  It is by focusing on Him and keeping the faith that we have good reputations in this world.  

I thank God for time in the Word, for time in the States, and for time on the many planes to reflect on Him, ministry and life in general.

Once I returned to the Dominican, I taught my classes in the mornings.  I praise God because it seems that some kids are learning to read simple words.  We are working on our numbers 11-19 -- recognizing them and understanding the concept of those numbers in preparation for addition.  And, last week we studied the promise that God made to Abraham to give him more children than the stars in the sky.  

God has been good.  

I am finally feeling energized even after teaching.  Along with teaching, I had the opportunity this week to spend time with a group, share about Emanuel House and Child Sponsorship at a baseball conference, provide food for a missionary family, visit  some of my Bible study women, take a woman to the hospital, go cliff diving early on Saturday morning, host some of the GAP students at Emanuel House this weekend, and take the 5 little girls to church with me earlier today.

Please pray:


  • that the Lord will continue to teach me patience, endurance, confidence in Him, discipline, and love that only He can provide.
  • for the right words when comforting close friends who are dealing with abusive situations.
  • for my students, their behavior, and home life.
  • for the five little girls -- attendance each day, self discipline, and that we would love them well.
  • for reminders that I am not of this world, and to be okay with it.


Hebrews 12:28
Since we are receiving a Kingdom that is unshakable, let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe.  

Hebrews 13:15-16
Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance in his name.  And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need.  These are the sacrifices that please God.

May we continue to know that on this Earth we are only nomads.  May we thank God for all things eternal that we see while here and be confident in the things we cannot see. May our faith grow more and more each day, never forgetting what lies ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment