Sunday, August 24, 2014

And then we rested...and laughed a lot!

I praise God for rest!  I praise Him for time away.  I praise Him for laughter!  I see His glory in the kids, the beautiful fish, this island, growing relationships, my growing faith, and the love that surrounds me every day.

If you missed the video, some of my Bible study ladies decided to join in on the ALS Challenge that's going on on the internet.  I donated in their honor and we challenged some of the people who they came to love over the summer.  The challenge raises money and awareness for people with the disease and they wanted to be a part as well.  Starting my day getting ice poured on my head with these ladies truly made my week.  If nothing else, you will get a good laugh when you watch the video. Check it out here.

I am writing this blog from Punta Cana, well actually Bávaro, which is a city right outside of Punta Cana in the eastern most part of Dominican Republic.  It's beautiful here, and I thank the Lord for a few days away.  I am thankful for Mirqueya's family and close friends who have opened up their homes to us and who have "connections" for us to enjoy some of the tourist attractions like mudding on the dune buggy, boating and snorkeling.

I thought I was getting away to be able to do some work in peace and quiet, but God always has other plans and has blessed me in a different way.  In addition to getting to be adventurous, the family that we are staying with (a mom from Quisqueya, a dad from Spain, and 3 kids 11, 9 and 2), have become fond of me somehow.  Yes worriers, I have actually rested and spent some time alone.  But I am also very grateful for the little ones' smiles and hugs and questions about what I do in Quisqueya.  While we've been here, it has rained every day.  While on one hand rain is good because it cools the weather down and has given us a great reason to sleep more, I also think about the families in Quisqueya who have tin roofs with lots of holes.   They often suffer when there is so much rain because the insides of their homes get wet.  Please pray for them as we have officially entered into the rainy season, I believe.

The last couple of weeks have been pretty good and calm.  I am grateful for a more "scheduled" life starting in just a few days.  I had my last week of teacher meetings, worked a good bit on Bible curriculum, went to the capital to receive some new books for the library, enjoyed time with friends, worked with some teachers from Washington, DC., and finally came here.  Even though it doesn't sound like it,  it's been mostly low-key, and I'm thankful to the Lord for that.

Thank you to all who responded to the fundraising efforts for Emanuel House.  Please continue to pray for those needs, and if God is touching your heart to give, please email me or visit www.scoresponsor.org.  I would love to give you more information and answer your questions.  Praise be to God for the donations for the land which did come in time.  We still haven't officially bought it yet.  Please pray for the process.  I know that God is good.  The land is reserved for us.  Please pray for no hiccups and for everything to work out.

The building on the current Emanuel House land is what we are working to get now.  As the first day of school begins on Monday, we will have 92 kids in the morning to fit in 4 small classrooms.  Three classes have almost 30 kids and one of those classes will overflow into the meeting area upstairs.  (We have not added any kids at Emanuel House, but some of the kindergarteners that used to attend in the afternoon will now be in 1st grade in the morning, causing some space issues.)  Please pray for these first days.  Pray for my patience during a time of re-organization.  And please pray for provision for the remaining $30,000 for the building.

Thank you for everyone who prayed for me and the position that was offered to me as the Director of Education.  God truly has a sense of humor and He is abundant.  I marvel at the trust that can be earned in such a short period of time.  Thank you for all of the emails of encouragement!  After lots of prayer and uneasiness, I decided to just teach this year and help in the background without the official "title" and responsibilities of being in charge.  So far, I have helped with scheduling, curriculum and done a lot of praying for this place.  Your prayers are so appreciated as well!  Being an American Director of an official school in the Dominican is a lot of responsibility... and came on a little quick.  I learned not long after I wrote my blog about the meetings, "politics," and busyness that being a director would involve.  I just don't think I'm ready nor do I believe it's what God is calling me to right now.  And, I wouldn't have been able to teach.  I do believe that God has placed me here to speak into the lives of teachers, but even more so to the kids, moms and and other family members connected to the foundation.  I want to have time to share Jesus with them when I'm not teaching, by visiting them and just spending time in the Word, and doing life with them when I'm not working.  So, I will be teaching about 25 1st graders, trying to get them to read, so that they can read the Word for themselves, continue to go to school, one day support their own families, and be positive contributers to their community.  I am beyond excited about what God has in store for these little ones.   Teaching is only 1/2 day, which will allow me to complete my child sponsorship responsibilities, rest, plan, come alongside teachers, and spend time with some of my favorite dominicans who are still very new in their faith or others who haven't come to know the Lord yet.

Please continue praying for me in the following areas:
  • regular rest...
  • continued good health...
  • time in the Word...
  • wisdom in teaching 1st graders...
  • Bible memorization...
  • my girls who I haven't spent time with in a couple of weeks...
  • their dad...
  • Emanuel House details...
  • the moms who have spiritual battles, familial struggles, and economic hardships.  May the Lord be with them.  May they come to know Him and depend on Him, and may He give us discernment and wisdom on how to help them long-term.

Muddy Mirqueya and Adrienne after a few hours doing the "Adventure Buggy."  

No comments:

Post a Comment