Sunday, March 30, 2014

But God!

It's funny to think what an encouraging week I had recently when my school came to visit and minister alongside me.  And, it's funny to think how quickly I was shaken just a day after they left by the reality of the situations of the people with whom I work and live. 

This past week has not been easy.  I have been confronted with desperate mothers who have made sinful choices in order to support their family.  I have been confronted with a child who was found lying and stealing from the only one who truly loves her, as she was abandoned by her own family.  I have been confronted by a little baby, Samuel, and his mother, Joselyn, who have spent the last 5 days in the hospital because he had pneumonia. Samuel is less than 20 days old. I have been confronted with the reality of the 5 little girls who I have come to love and their scarcity of food, care, and even them being outside really late at night just hanging in the streets.  And I continue to be confronted by the reality of their cancer-ridden mom who is bed day after day. 

This week has been hard.

But God!

I praise Him because I was able to pray for the desperate mother and talk to someone about her situation so that we can both be supportive to her and in prayer for her and her decisions. 

I praise Him because the little girl who was lying and stealing may not get kicked out, but instead has been given another chance. 

I praise Him because little Samuel is in the clear.  Even though they thought he would have to have a blood transfusion, God provided a miracle.  He is better and should go home in a few days.

I praise Him for all of my supporters who have been praying for little Samuel and His mother.  The power of prayer is great!

I praise Him for the little girls who I have gotten to visit and hug and love.  I praise Him for showing us ways to show our love to others and for providing a way to support the family with food.

I praise Him for their mother and for time spent with her to read to her and to pray with her and her little girls.

I also praise Him for moments to walk the streets of Quisqueya, sit with a new believer and mom and read John 1, and for time of rest this week.

This morning I woke up and read Matthew 9.  In verses 35-38, Jesus encourages his disciples.  The verses read, "Jesus traveled through all the towns and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom.  And he healed every kind of disease and illness.  When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  He said to his disciples, The harvest is great, but the workers are few.  So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.

I know that there is much work to be done.  We, His people, are the workers.  It is important to know that the "harvest" does not just exist here in the Dominican Republic or around other missionaries, but instead that the harvest is great and exists everywhere... and as believers we are His workers.  There are a lot of people who are without the Lord and who need to be shown compassion by those of us who love Him.  I pray that God would take away any "worldly" thoughts and instead renew our minds with His mindset of compassion, love, mercy, kindness, joy and peace.  May we approach every situation remembering the compassion that Jesus had on the lost and hurting people people with whom He came in contact.  And, may we continue to praise Him for who He is and for when He has done.

Prayer Requests:
- for four children with whom I will be working with reading: Virginia (4th grade), Perla (5th grade), Rafael (4th grade), María Altagracia (4th grade)
- for continued time in the Word and verse memorization
- for continued dependence on His strength and not my own
- for the Saturday Kids' Club.  I am losing one of my helpers, a teacher from Emanuel House.  Please pray that God would provide more help and direction on how to do it well.  Please pray for the kids and their behavior.
- for upcoming mission trip to Panama and for the planning that goes into that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment