Sunday, January 5, 2014

Martha Moments

written January 2, 2013

I have been back home in the Dominican for a few days now and I find my mind racing, myself feeling insufficient, overwhelmed with what is to be done, not useful, unable, and the list goes on and on and on.  Last night, I was praying to God about all of those negative adjectives that were racing through my brain.  I don't know where they came from nor why they hit me when I am technically still away from ministry for another day.  I thank God for answering me.  Adrienne is insufficient, BUT GOD IS ABUNDANT.  Adrienne is overwhelmed, BUT GOD IS PEACE.  GOD HAS A PLAN. Adrienne is not useful, BUT GOD CAN USE HER.  Adrienne is unable, but thank God that HE IS ABLE.

Please pray for me to be renewed over and over again by reading God's Word and praying.  Sometimes, all of those things hit me.  And, only when I remember all of God's attributes am I okay.  God's work not mine.

Honestly, since I've been back, I haven't even done much other than spend time with my Dominican family in the capital.  But, I have been calculating all that I have to do.  And, sometimes when I could be sitting and spending time, I have separated myself and relaxed, done some computer work that I needed to do, and spent time in the Word.  I also had an opportunity to go back to Quisqueya for a day for dinner that was provided for the kids by Alfonso Soriano.  Since I never had the chance to meet him, I decided to go.  His foundation has helped Emanuel House tremendously.  During the dinner, I ended up serving most of the time.  I spent some time with kids, but never met the famous baseball player and was truly concerned with helping more than the social aspect.

These last few days have been similar.  I seem to constantly gravitate towards doing -- even when it's just planning in my head.  Sometimes, I forget to enjoy. Yesterday when all of those thoughts came to my brain, I thought about Mary and Martha.  I have always wondered who I am more like and never been able to come to a conclusion.  Yesterday I realized that I definitely have my Martha moments.  This morning when I woke up and picked up Jesus Calling and read, this was God's message to me:

"Relax in My healing presence.  As you spend time with Me, your thoughts tend to jump ahead to today's plans and problems.  Bring your mind back to Me for refreshment and renewal.  Let the Light of My presence soak into you, as you focus your thoughts on Me.  Thus I equip you to face whatever the day brings.  This sacrifice of time pleases Me and strengthens you.  Do not skimp on our time together.  Resist the clamor of tasks waiting to be done.  You have chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from you."

And, the Lord gave me these passages:

Psalm 105:4
Search for the Lord and for His strength; continually seek Him.

Luke 10:39-42
Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord's feet, listening to what he taught.  But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing.  She came to Jesus and said, "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work?  Tell her to come and help me."  But the Lord said to her, "My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details!  There is only one thing worth being concerned about.  Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her."

Truly, reading this made me gasp.  The Lord is so funny to me.  Isn't He just Good?  He knows what I need to hear and He knows just when I need to hear it.

Starting tomorrow, I will be getting back into my routine again.  Before doing so, He has shown me that I definitely have Martha moments and that it is okay to stop and spend time with Him and with His children.  I don't need to get overwhelmed over the details nor have feelings of unfairness towards those who may have more Mary moments, but instead, I need to be concentrated on Jesus -- intentionally spending time at His feet.

GOD IS ABUNDANT!
GOD IS PEACE!
GOD HAS A PLAN!
GOD CAN USE ME!
GOD IS ABLE!
GOD IS GOOD!

I thank the Lord for His Word today.  I pray that it blesses you as it has blessed me.

PRAYER REQUESTS
Please pray for the Lord's continued peace.  Please pray for His continual revelation through His Word.  Please pray for ministry over the next week -- that I would use my hands to do His work, and that I would be intentionally in His Word and in prayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment