Friday, June 24, 2011

To WaLK iN HeR SHoeS


Well, today, I had the pleasure of hanging out with a team from Charlotte, North Carolina all day. In addition to visiting one of my favorite orphanages here in Dominican Republic (Jackie's house) which houses prostitutes kids so that they don't have to grow up in that environment, we also went to an orphanage that I had never been to before where kids who have HIV and AIDS stay. It was obvious that they don't get many visitors, as they were very timid for most of the time that we were there. We socialized though by playing jump rope, throwing balls and just carrying on conversations. One woman (who seemed to be in her early twenties) was having a conversation with one of the missionaries and he needed me to help translate.
I had no clue what I was walking into when I agreed to walk over there. It turns out that she (Franchesca) is a new Christian (just 2 months old), has three children (one of whom lives with her), and she has HIV. She was in a bad living situation with her step father and is living at the orphanage with the kids now doing volunteer work in return for medicine and treatment for her illness. She was such a beautful young woman, but deeply hurting for her children and her inability to work and take care of them. According to her, while staying at the orphanage, she is not allowed contact with her family nor does she get paid or is she allowed to leave for another job. As she spoke, it seemed that she was in a desperate situation that has no answer to get better... I told her that I cannot imagine. And her response was, "You can't imagine, and I have to live it." WOW!
We talked about her being a Christian and if she was able to talk to God.
So, I decided to sit down and I opened up my Bible. And, it's no secret that my best way to express myself is in writing. So, I wrote her a short letter telling her that while she is in a desparate situation, I do believe that GOD is able. He can get her out of it. She does have HIV and one day she will die (she told me that) but that doesn't mean that in the meantime she can't work to give her kids a good home.
It's so cool how God works. It has been my goal this week to memorize Bible verses (both in English and in Spanish) and the verse I concentrated on this week was Jeremiah 29:11 -- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremias 29:11 -- Porque yo se los pensamientos que tengo acerca de vosotros, pensamientos de pas y no de mal, para daros el fin que esperais.
In the letter I wrote her, I gave her one more verse that I cling to as I don't know my future and God's plans. 1 Corinthians 2:9 -- No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has imagined what God will do for those who love Him.
I in no way believe that I know what it is like to walk in her shoes. But the truth is that each of us has a situation, something that we are waiting for God to help us through. We each know deep down that we are in situations that are beyond our control and only God can get us through. I do believe that Help us through. It may not be in the way that we originally thought, but it will be His way in His time.
And, I am grateful that we do not have to get ourselves through on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment