Thursday, June 16, 2011

HeaT, i WiLL ConQUeR You

Well, it's the fourth day back in the Dominican Republic and all I can think about these last few days is how hot it is and how much I totally forgot about it. Definitely dealing with the heat without relief is something that I need to pray about. With heat comes sweat (lots of it) and bugs. It is hard for me to think that just where I am staying today, I stayed for a whole month two years ago. But, I did it. Even more hard to believe is that people live in these conditions everyday. They've adjusted to the fact that the electricity turns off every night in the middle of the night and maybe they don't wake up drenched in sweat... or maybe they do. They've adjusted to not having a fan (which I am so fortunate to have). It's hard to imagine living each day -- in and out like this. But, somehow, I did it two years ago. Today, for the first time I used bug spray. I don't know why I hadn't before, but immediately, the bugs repelled. HA. They are everywhere!
So, what I've decided to do is first, pray that God will take away any negative attitude that I have about the heat. I can do it. People handle it every day. I'm giving that battle up to Him. Second, I have decided to focus on the positives.... Because there are so many things that I am grateful for over the past four days! First, we spent Monday - Wednesday at a resort in Puerto Plata. It was really beautiful. There were dominicans that stayed there mostly and then some foreigners. We just hung out on the beach most of the day, but that sun is serious! So, we spent a good bit of time in the shade too. I taught my family how to play Bananagrams (mix Spanish and English) and we just enjoyed time together relaxing. I am going to try to upload a picture or two.
THINGS I AM THANKFUL FOR - first few days in the Dominican Republic:
cold bottled water & ice
a shower (we had one at the hotel) - GLORIOUS
the beach - God was so creative when making this EARTH.
vegetables - I got the chance to really eat a lot while at the hotel. Veggies are hard to come by or better yet, not typically in the daily diet
the fan that sits by my bed at night
the internet (which Leida has but doesn't ever use)
sun screen
I'll be here one more night and then we are heading to the southern part of the D.R. and staying with some of Leida's family for two nights. I think this afternoon we may go and visit a new museum that focuses on the Mirabal sisters (who had a lot to do with the overthrowing of a dictator - Trujillo) in the mid 1900's. It's something I teach about in my senior seminar class in Spanish, so should be fun.
BESOS!

No comments:

Post a Comment