Friday, July 26, 2019

Why Seminary?

As promised, here is my letter sent out to supporters about why I have stopped ministry in the D.R. for this season.  I appreciate your continued support and prayers while I am in this time of transition.

Just a couple of days ago, I arrived in the States and will be spending the next month disconnecting, resting and reflecting before starting seminary in early September.  Please continue to pray for me that I may "stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (Colossians 4:12), and that I will trust that "He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"  Philippians 1:6.

(letter written June 2019)                                  

Dear 

Over the last 6 years while serving in the Dominican, I have grown in my faith, in my biblical knowledge, and in my understanding of missions. God has given me confidence to share with others about the hope that I find only in Him, He has given me a deep passion for discipling girls and women, and He has grown me in my own understanding of my identity and calling. I believe that along with the call to be in ministry full time He has also challenged me to know the Bible better than I currently do.

I am excited to announce that after much prayer, I have applied for and been accepted into the Masters of Divinity program with a concentration in World Missions at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Gordon-Conwell’s vision is “to equip leaders to think theologically, live biblically, and serve globally.” In God’s abundance, I have also been offered a merit scholarship which will cover the majority of my tuition. With the scholarship comes a commitment on my part to study full-time and live on campus.

As you can imagine, while I am excited for the opportunity to get filled up and to study the Bible, and while I know that this step is necessary in my growth as a missionary, I am also saddened and overwhelmed by the upcoming changes. The Dominican Republic has now become my home and my normal. Yet, while change is uncomfortable, I desire nothing more than to be in God’s will and follow His lead. He is in control. He is my provider. He is my father. And so, in faith, I take this step knowing that He goes with me.

I am more than grateful for all of you who have been committed members of my support team over the last 6 years. God has done so much through us both in Quisqueya and here in Montellano, and I hope that in August I will be able to invite you to a special celebration in order to reflect on all that He has done.

God is working! Just this past month, we finished the third cycle of literacy where we celebrated the reading advancement of 9 women who a year ago did not even know how to write their names. The program will continue with a new leader next fall. Additionally, I, along with the rest of the Family Empowerment team, just finished our second full year serving the Makarios families, building relationships with the local churches, and loving, educating and empowering parents through evangelism, discipleship, workshops on parenting, marriage and sex, leadership trainings, and biblical counseling. The ministry will continue to flourish, as the team has plans for more Adult Education classes, a more developed Biblical Counseling program, and increased partnerships with the local churches.

So, what’s next for me? Lord willing, I will spend the next two weeks helping with VBS and evaluating the Family Empowerment program; and the next month spending time with Makarios families, visiting friends in Quisqueya and Santo Domingo, and selling my belongings. My official last day as a Makarios missionary is July 15. I hope to spend the last two weeks in July having Sabbath in country by reflecting on all that God has been doing since I moved to the island in 2013. I will spend August in the States resting before moving to South Hamilton, Massachusetts in early September.

And after seminary?

Only God knows. It’s a scary step of faith that I am taking, but God is giving me the courage to step off of the field to become better equipped to serve Him. My hope is to maintain relationships with Makarios staff and families during my time in Seminary by visiting and serving during breaks from school. Once I graduate, I hope to serve again overseas. While I cannot completely see the future, I know that God has gifted me to be in ministry long-term, and I believe I will continue to serve in missions, and who knows — maybe even back in the Dominican Republic. Wherever he leads, I hope that with the Biblical knowledge and spiritual growth acquired in seminary, I will be even better equipped to serve the Church.


What should you do about your monthly donation?

Makarios will allow me to have 3 months of pay after I leave the Dominican to help me financially during my transitional period. I will receive any donations made to Makarios on my behalf through October 15. Your donations through this time are greatly appreciated! Your donations will be used for travel back to the States, Sabbath, debriefing, and my transition into seminary. **Any donations given on my behalf after October 15 will be used at Makarios’ discretion. 
To stop donations, please call the Makarios Austin Office at (512) 589-9018.

What if you want to continue supporting Makarios?

If you desire to continue to support Makarios after October 15, I encourage you to do so by switching your monthly or quaterly donation to support the Family Empowerment Ministry whose vision is to see families transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to have parents who are ethical leaders, capable of influencing their communities. You can do so by calling the number above to switch your support.

How can you continue to support me while I am in seminary?

PRAYER. I value you as a part of my team! Please pray for me both during my transition period and 
once classes are in full swing. I will update my blog with prayer requests and updated information about what God is teaching me!

GIVING. If you would like to support me financially while at seminary, that would be an incredible and unexpected blessing! While I have been awarded a tuition scholarship, I still have to pay for books and living expenses. Since I believe that God has called me into long-term ministry, I will be working and doing all I can to graduate without debt. If you would like to help, you can give a non- tax deductible gift to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary on my behalf. 

  • Checks should be made out to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and my student ID Number 212057 should be included in the memo . Please mail checks to: Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 130 Essex Street, South Hamilton, MA 01982. All gifts will be deposited into my student account.


  • If you wish to give online, go to: https://gordonconwell.aford.com/PPT/MakeAPayment (Just make sure to put my name: Adrienne Christian / Student ID Number: 212057 / Hamilton Campus)

If you have any questions or would like to know more, please feel free to email me at acorinnechristian@gmail.com.

God bless you, and may the peace of God fill you always!
Adrienne Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment