Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Honest Conversations -- Similar Sentiments

Just a few months ago, I read the article below about a missionary heading home for the first time in three years and her thoughts and fears and expectations.  And I can relate to many of the sentiments before and when I am in the states.  So, I saved it with a note to myself to send it out to my supporters and friends in March or April.

Well, here it is April, I've already arrived in the States and while it has not been quite so long since I came back to my first home, it has been almost four years since I moved to the Dominican Republic. In that time, lots has changed.

I realize that it's been a year and a half since I had any formal dinner for supporters in the Atlanta area, and probably about 6 months since I've seen some of my loved ones here in Florida and in South Georgia.  And I realize that I need to try to plan a more formal trip later this year for those who are so gracious to support what God is doing through me in the Dominican Republic.

The main purpose of this trip is to bring artwork from the ladies from Quisqueya (where I used to live) and some rings designed by a man from the Puerto Plata area where I am now in ministry to support their work and hopefully benefit both Makarios and Emanuel House by buying books with the proceeds.

In the midst of that, I get to see lots of people that I haven't seen in a while, hug necks, chat, and be reminded of things in this culture that are different than where I have rooted over the past 3 1/2 years.

And, I get to introduce a close Dominican friend, Nicole to friends and family here and show her some of my old stomping grounds.  I am looking forward to it all, along with a couple of days of just rest and exploring.

Needless to say, this article is a great read and sheds some light on some of the feelings of anyone coming back stateside after time away.  I hope you will read it as a way to help you understand some of the many emotions as I jump back into a place that I love but that I've been out of rhythm with for so long.


My Pre-Furlough Mind

By Anisha Hopkinson on Feb 08, 2017 12:10 am

In 32 days, it’s furlough time! After 3 years serving overseas, we’re heading back for 6 months. We are completely and ridiculously over the moon excited. My son keeps asking if we can go straight from the airport to the mall. The other day my husband sighed, “Right now I just want to be sitting in front of Simmon’s Bakery eating an iced bun.” As for me, I dream daily of swimming pools and running in the woods.
I can’t wait to see everyone, hug, laugh, and hold on tight because for the first time in years we are actually standing in front of one another. But, oh boy, there it is – the plain fact that it’s been years since we left. A lot of life happens in 3 years.
As I prepare for furlough, I’ve got 7 things on my mind…

1)When we left, Downton Abbey was on season 3
Is Downton Abby even still on? The last I know, Lady Mary and Matthew finally got engaged. Popular music? No clue. New words to make their way into pop culture? Again, no idea. Three years ago, the Harlem Shake ruled the internet and pre-teens lost their minds over Bieber swag.


2)My son is going to think something “normal” is really funny and weird.
My son has spent half his life in Indonesia. We’ve been coaching him on how things are done differently back in our family’s passport countries, but I’m sure we’ll miss something out. Last trip back, he loudly pointed out all the bare breasted statues at the garden centre. While other children walked by without so much as a glance, giggles and shouts of, “Look Mom, more nipples!” trailed after me through potted plants.

3)I’m afraid I won’t remember names
I feel really bad about this one and I might be panicking for no reason, but I’m still panicking. I can see it all play out in my mind – We’re at church. A familiar face heads towards me. I’m smiling and wracking my brain but no matter how hard I try, I just can’t remember a name. Perhaps this is all completely irrational, but it’s still freaking me out a bit.

4)My clothes are awful
Before going overseas, I promised myself I wouldn’t be one of those odd looking missionaries showing up to Sunday services in old, worn out clothes. Unless I make it to the store before Sunday, I absolutely am one of those missionaries. My clothes are old. They have holes and stains and are stretched from line drying. I need to go shopping. And a for haircut. I really need a haircut.

5)We’ve experienced trauma
We’ve had some bad things happen to us. We’ve scheduled a debriefing retreat, are getting counseling, and are working through hard things. We’re putting structure in place to better care for ourselves. Still, I worry people will think we’re a bit off or perhaps emotionally raw, but won’t understand why.

6)I need more than 5 minutes
When friends say, “So tell me about life in Indonesia”, I have no idea how to answer. I might say, “It’s good!” but really, what does that even mean? I’m holding out hope someone will say, “Welcome back! Let’s go for coffee and long catch up.” and we can both listen and share about our lives over the last 3 years.

7)My ‘Thank You’ isn’t enough
How can I adequately express just how thankful I am for everyone who prays, encourages, and supports us? I’ll bring back a woven bracelet or some other unique thing from my overseas home and say, “Thank you. We wouldn’t be here without you.” but am still so aware how short words and trinkets will fall. However sincere, my ‘thank you’ isn’t enough.
Copyright © 2017 A Life Overseas, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at alifeoverseas.com.

Our mailing address is:
A Life Overseas
710 Pinon Ridge Drive, Woodland Park, CO, United States
Woodland Park, CO  80863

No comments:

Post a Comment