Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Plans, Patience, and Promises oh my!

Reading again through the Bible, I find myself at the beginning... Genesis.
God existed from the beginning.
God created everything perfectly.
Man sinned causing separation from God.
Every man (and woman) thereafter sinned and sinned and sinned until...
God destroyed every living thing except those on Noah's big boat.
God still loved His creation, but many were still separated from Him.
Hundred's of years after the flood Abraham (then Abram) is born and he marries Sarah (then Sarai). And when they are about a hundred years old, they have Isaac.

And that's who I read about today, Isaac... the almost-sacrificed son of Abraham.  Isaac, the husband of Rebekah and the father of Jacob and Esau is one of many in the Bible who is so often renowned and yet so imperfect.

My Bible commentary tells me of weaknesses that Isaac had:
lying under pressure, avoiding necessary confrontation and playing favorites among his sons

And yet, God continued to work through him and his shortcomings.

God used Isaac's life for His glory.

Isaac, like all of us was so imperfect and weak.  Yet, God chose him to be born to Abraham and Sarah at a time well past child-bearing age.  And, even better -- Jesus is part of His family tree. Jesus -- the Savior who fixes all of the mess, the separation, and the sin.

My Bible commentary also points out lessons from his life that we can apply to our own:
Patience often brings rewards...
Both God's plans and His promises are larger than people or circumstances...
God keeps his promises!  He remains faithful though we are often faithless...

This season is definitely one of God reminding me that He is God and that He has a perfect plan.  As is normal, I have had difficult and exhausting days mixed with wonderful, surprising, "Wow-God-IS-really-Working" days.  I am truly excited to see His plan continue to unfold as I learn, share and grow.

Please pray for continued "settling" and building of relationships and the following parts of my ministry, many of which have kept me quite busy in the last month:

Reading at Makarios.  The school year officially came to an end last week.  So, I will stop formal reading at the school until the fall.  One of my 4th graders improved so much that he is able to continue on to the Christian Private school that is a part of Compassion and my church.  I am SO proud of him.  I have seen improvements in most.  I will continue to work with many of the same kids next year.  May God open their brains to be able to read.

Reading and Bible Study in Chichigua.  I have had three weeks where I have been working two times a week in a community called Chichigua.  It is a creole-speaking village where some of the kids live. I have started to build relationships through Creole practice.  One of the moms expressed a desire to learn to read and to be able to read the Bible.  And, a month later, there is a reading / Bible study that I am heading up twice a week with two different small groups (one of mostly believers and one with non-believers).  God is good!  One of the ladies with whom I'm working accepted Christ after hearing the Gospel.  The others are SO hungry to know God's Word.  I pray that He will soften their hearts to accept Him as their Savior and that they will take the Bible as truth and not necessarily culture or what they've been told when it does not line up.

Pijama Jam. We had a PJ sleepover with the 5th - 8th graders who are a part of Makarios but who go to the private school this year.  It was a lot of fun worshipping, sharing testimonies, playing, baking, eating and watching a movie.  The goal was to get to know each other better as a foundation to continue ministry with them in the future.  Please pray about what that looks like!  (We already had an informal 2 hour softball game with some 5th graders just a few days ago.)

 

Reading workshop with teachers. Two weeks ago, I led a reading workshop with the teachers sharing with them the disparities of the education system here on the island.  It's crazy to think that kids who cannot read by 4th grade are most likely to go to jail, not finish school, etc. etc.  I didn't find any statistics about parents being unable to read to their children or read their Bible on their own, but wow, from experience what a difference that makes in a child's life.  Teachers were presented with a variety of games and activities that they can use in their classes to teach their kids.

Wedding Bells.  In that same two weeks ago, two members of the Makarios family got married!  It was definitely a family effort in the "saying goodbye" parties, preparations and cleaning up!

Workshop in Quisqueya.  After having had a few days of must needed rest, tomorrow I head to Quisqueya with a group of teachers to do a workshop on teaching pre-school.  The pre-school program is great here and hopefully the teachers will learn some things. I think it'll be a great opportunity for my two worlds to collide.  Please pray for safe travel, good fellowship with the Makarios and Emanuel House teachers and that it would be a time that is a blessing to the Lord!

A few more things...

  • Summer VBS is almost here and I'm on the VBS team and lots of groups will be visiting.
  • Continued relationship building with the teachers and the community around us.
  • Good health and energy balanced with rest and filling up this Summer.
  • Wisdom in discipling a Summer intern. 
  • My Bible studies / reading help -- that God speaks through me and continues to give me wisdom.

May God increase my desire to be available to Him, knowing that His willingness to use me is even greater than my desire to be used.  May God's strengths overshadow my weaknesses.  May He teach me patience, faith in His promises, and discipline.

To Him be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment