Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Appreciating the little & BIG Things

Since my last blog post, there are so many things to be thankful for:

We officially opened the library.  The kids have been crazy excited even though right now we have limited hours as we adjust to the "newness" of it all.  They are learning that you are quiet in libraries, that it's not an area to run around and that reading is fun! There are still books coming in. (Check out the how you can help tab if you are still interested in sending books.) Thanks to everyone who has donated to, prayed for, and supported this effort!  I am so thankful that through the library, we are not only providing books for kids who would otherwise not have any, but also through support money I am able to provide work for struggling families!

  










I also had the opportunity to go zip-lining.  I have always had the problem with resting, but God gave me a day to rest in His creation 2 Saturdays ago.  It was awesome.  Now, if only I can get this resting thing down each week...




The kids at Emanuel House were finally given their One Laptop Per Child laptops and are beginning to learn to use them, embrace the rules and hopefully will be exploring things that have never been possible before.  I have been training teachers each Friday on ways to implement the laptops and I have been giving them other activities in their classrooms.



I continue to lead my Saturday Kids Club.  This past Saturday we had about 18 kids there and they learned about Cain and Abel, sin and our need to be obedient to the Lord, and not be jealous of those around us.  I was able to incorporate a library book on jealousy and a kids' Bible called The Action Bible as well.  (If you have a child and don't know about this, it's lot's of fun!)

I attended two sessions put on by Ken Ham about creationism and why the Bible's version of creation is true.  It was a very interesting talk especially in light of his recent debate against Evolution.  I felt very fortunate to have some connections to get to participate with Dominican Youth and the SCORE GAP students earlier this week.  There was a lot of science talk and a lot of Bible talk.  I was and still am encouraged to read, read, read the Word!  I am convinced that the Lord is who He says He is... and that His Word is inspired by Him.  So, I must agree that Genesis is true and that "in the beginning... GOD."

My favorite experience over the last few days occurred on Sunday when I walked over to some of the kids' houses that live just a few blocks away only to find little girls hardly dressed with afros.  So sweet. And then, in walked two more looking exactly the same with huge smiles on their faces.  It was then that I realized that they all had all just taken bathes.  After one (Merlina) finished eating, I gave her a letter sent by one of her sponsors.  I read it aloud.  Merlina is about 6 and can't read or write yet although she has great command of using a pen.  So, we talked about what she wanted to say to her sponsor, and I wrote in yellow for her to later trace in pen.  I also gave her little sister a gift sent from her sponsor for her birthday. Then, I took 4 little ones to a local bakery where they enjoyed cookies.  Listening to their chatter the whole way was a treat!


Working with Child Sponsorship -- although I feel all over the place -- has opened the door wide open to feel comfortable visiting kids and their families.  I am looking forward to continuing to build relationships around this community.  I can only imagine what the Lord has planned for me.

Please join me in praying for:
- continued strength in and dependence on God's Word and belief in His power
- the five little girls who are still living with their dying mother
- this Thursday's softball game where we will play and share the gospel in Boca Chica
- the two Wesleyan School teams that will be here in a little over a month to minister to the Dominicans
- discipline in Bible memorization 
- a structured schedule in my week
-wisdom in running the library and supporting the library workers
-upcoming mission trip to Haiti (2/19-2/22) with my home church
- discernment in God's long-term ministry call here in Quisqueya

No comments:

Post a Comment